Re: [squid-users] Linux+Squid+Draytek+Lacking Network Skills = Frustration

From: Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa <ildefonso.camargo_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 12:51:00 -0430

On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 9:50 AM, jondavidf <jon.frerichs_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> I need some help if at all possible.  This may be a re-post for some.
>
> This is what I'm trying to accomplish:
>
>     Trying to get fast Internet to 50 Soldiers stationed in Afghanistan.
>
> I am completely new to linux and squid and am trying to get a proxy server
> set up.
>
> This is what I'm working with so far:
>
>    * A Gateway desktop w/2 LAN cards that I plan on installing Linux on.
> This desktop also has 4TB of movies and TV shows attached via eSata external
> drives.
>
>    * A Draytek router with 2 WAN (100mb) ports and 4 LAN (100mb) ports
>
>    * 2 - 24 port (Gigabit) switches
>
>    * and 2 satellite Internet systems complete with modems
>
> The router I have combines the signals from both satellites and distributes
> it.  It also seems to do a good job at managing the bandwidth and set up
> QOS.  I'm pretty happy with the job the router is doing.
>
> The desktop, which will be used as the server, is now pretty much just a
> Network Storage Device.
>
> I think what I'd like to do is keep the server in parallel (attached to one
> of the switches) with all the client computers so that the router can
> continue to do the bandwidth management.  I'd like the client computers to
> request an Internet page, have the server check if it has a local copy, and
> if it does send it back to the client computer.  If it doesn't the server
> would forward the request to the router and on to the Internet to retrieve
> the page.
>
> Does anyone know if the setup in the above paragraph is even possible?  If
> it isn't what would you suggest?

Short answer: yes.

Long answer:

1. I would install Debian on your "proxy server" (or Ubuntu).
2. Install squid on the debian (or ubuntu) system.

It will be "ready to use" after that, but with a tiny 100MB cache,
just test it, you should be able to navigate through Internet using
the server's IP as proxy server, and port 3128.

After that, you need to adjust some parameters to improve cache size
and stuff. The thing is: if you want to create "access restrictions",
it is advisable that the proxy acts as a firewall too, but if you
don't need access restrictions, just ignore this.

Now, one question: will you need to server to keep acting as a media
server? if yes: what kind of media server? (this part is off-topic).

I hope this helps,

Ildefonso Camargo