[squid-users] fail-safe and load balancing with reverse proxy

From: Király László <kiru_at_mail.madalbal.hu>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 12:59:44 +0200

Hi List,

I use a squid3-3.0.STABLE8 reverse proxy on a debian system.
It makes forward queries to web server, which is accessible from 2 public ips.

My peer config:

---
cache_peer x.y.z.57 parent 80 0 no-query no-digest no-netdb-exchange
originserver name=parent1 round-robin login=PASS weight=16
cache_peer a.b.c.118 parent 80 0 no-query no-digest no-netdb-exchange
originserver name=parent2 round-robin login=PASS weight=1
---
I would like to do a fail-safe connection to the web server.
It's working, but if one of the public ips isn't accessible, there is some
Connection timed out (110) proxy message until the parent is detected as dead,
while the proxy tries to query the offline parent.
How can I eliminate this thing?
Why squid doesn't resend the query to the another parent?
I cannot set ICP queries while the parent is a simple web server.
Is there a way to make better dead peer detection?
Can I do this whith icmp queries?
Best regards,
László Király