Re: [squid-users] Squid configuration for NTLM

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2010 03:24:43 +0000

On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 20:10:56 -0700 (PDT), "Prashant K.S"
<ksprashant_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to Squid. I am also new to Samba and the network configuration
> parameters.
>
> I have a squid 3.1 installed on my ubuntu linux machine.
>
> I have a requirement to set up a squid proxy on a ubuntu/red hat linux
> machine that does NTLM authentication for all the requests from browser.
> do not have access to any NT domain from the linux machine.

This lack of domain access will be a problem if you want to setup full
NTLM. The proxy will need access to the domain controller which is the only
machine able to check the security tokens are true.

The SMB LM helper bundled with Squid can do checks without domain access
or Samba. However it cannot do real NTLMv2.

Linux machines can be setup as trusted domain members, so if you have
digital access to the domain controller server you can configure the domain
access.

NP: You also want to be looking at switching the NTLM to Kerberos, or
Kerberos with NTLM as a backup. The newer Windows systems use Kerberos
instead of NTLM. It also is less resource hungry.

Amos