Re: [squid-users] Request for your recommendation for ISP setup

From: Luis Daniel Lucio Quiroz <luis.daniel.lucio_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 08:13:20 -0500

Le vendredi 4 juin 2010 00:09:19, Khemara Lyn a écrit :
> Dear All,
>
> First, please bear with me for the lengthy message. I'm really in need
> of help from your expertise regarding a good, robust, high-performance
> forward-proxy Squid setup for ISP customers.
>
> I am running an ISP with around 500 customers. I've been using a single
> Squid machine to do forward proxy for the customers to cache the Web
> contents and thus save some costly bandwidth.
>
> The single Squid machine has the following hardware specs roughly:
>
> - RAM: 16GB
> - CPU: 2 of 3 GHz Intel XEON CPUs
> - Hard drive: 4 x 300GB SCSI drives
>
> I use Squid-2.7STABLE9 on Fedora 12.
>
> Right now, I allow only half of the customers (around 250 users) to use
> this forward proxy machine and I notice that, the 16GB memory is used up
> easily in 3 hours after Squid's startup.
>
> I would like to know how can tweak that box for better performance than
> it has now.
> Or is it reaching the limit already?
>
> Please find in the attached files for the Squid configuration, and cache
> info & utilization.
>
> I am also thinking of running 2 Squid machines as cache peers: one being
> a child and the other a parent. For that setup, I would like to have the
> child peer to do caching for local customers and redirect any outside
> (Internet) destinations to the parent peer, which will not cache anything.
>
> May I have your inputs on this setup: is it correct and does it follow
> the best practice?
> If it does, may I have some guidances/pointers on this from those who
> had set up similar scenario before?
>
> Hope for your kind advice.
>
> Many thanks & best regards,
> Khem

Hi there

well
i would move these
cache_mem 6 MB
maximum_object_size_in_memory 32 KB
minimum_object_size 512 bytes
maximum_object_size 5 GB
to these

cache_mem 12 MB -> if you are only runng in that machine one squid
maximum_object_size_in_memory 64 KB -> 69% of objects are less than 64kb
minimum_object_size 0 -> let all
maximum_object_size 135128 kB -> >0,01% of objets are more than 135mb

refresh_pattern . 0 20% 4320
should e recalculated but i tis no trivial

and i think you are missing "cache" lines to let the videos/mp3 let in as you
configuration states.

Caché dir, dont give more than 250 GB of space, and 32 256 values should be
recalculated to let tree navigation faster as possible

however your statics
        Request Hit Ratios: 5min: 29.6%, 60min: 29.1%
        Byte Hit Ratios: 5min: 22.6%, 60min: 24.2%

are far enoguht so dont expect more performance you are about to reach the 30%
that statistically maximum you may reach (in general speaking).

LD