[squid-users] Active/Backup Squid cluster

From: Nick Cairncross <Nick.Cairncross_at_condenast.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 13:08:42 +0100

Hi All,

I'm just looking into clustering Squid and wanted to see what experiences people have had.

Currently we have two non-Squid proxies on two different sites. Each has a virtual IP (the VIP network is extended over the two sites) and a physical IP (though different VLANs)

Site A: VIP 172.16.10.8 IP 172.16.40.60
Site B: VIP 172.16.10.7 IP 172.16.8.60

Each box also has multicast addresses assigned to them. e.g..

172.16.10.7:
244.0.99.2
244.0.99.1

172.16.10.8:
244.0.99.1
244.0.99.2

Using the config tool of the proxies, you set the priority of each 'home' VIP as 100 and the other site as 50. This means they act on each site, servicing requests etc. However, should one proxy fail I can raise the priority of the other so that it also hosts the VIP of the broken proxy and takes over.

All this is a long way round to saying I can flip my users to whatever proxy I want, take one out of commission etc and it works nicely. I'd like to use something similar is Squid. The added complication is that I use Kerberos authentication, which is dependent on host name. I can't quite see a way to achieve what I want yet.

Any ideas or suggestions welcome,

Thanks
Nick

** Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail **

The information contained in this e-mail is of a confidential nature and is intended only for the addressee. If you are not the intended addressee, any disclosure, copying or distribution by you is prohibited and may be unlawful. Disclosure to any party other than the addressee, whether inadvertent or otherwise, is not intended to waive privilege or confidentiality. Internet communications are not secure and therefore Conde Nast does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message. Any views or opinions expressed are those of the author.

Company Registration details:
The Conde Nast Publications Ltd
Vogue House
Hanover Square