Re: [squid-users] Active/Backup Squid cluster

From: Eugene M. Zheganin <emz_at_norma.perm.ru>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 21:50:07 +0600

Hi.

21.06.2010 18:08, Nick Cairncross wrote:
> Using the config tool of the proxies, you set the priority of each 'home' VIP as 100 and the other site as 50. This means they act on each site, servicing requests etc. However, should one proxy fail I can raise the priority of the other so that it also hosts the VIP of the broken proxy and takes over.
>
> All this is a long way round to saying I can flip my users to whatever proxy I want, take one out of commission etc and it works nicely. I'd like to use something similar is Squid. The added complication is that I use Kerberos authentication, which is dependent on host name. I can't quite see a way to achieve what I want yet.

I run a couple of squid installations where I use FreeBSD carp(4)
interface to backup squid proxy in case of hardware or network failure.
However, this doesn't solve the service outage, which I have to handle
manually, for example raising the priority on the backup node.
Linux has carp implementation too, so if this method of failover is
acceptable ... :)

I use NTLM/Basic authentication in these installations.

Eugene.