[squid-users] Same cached copy for multiple TLDs

From: Rebecca Denham <rebecca.denham_at_justlanded.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 16:25:12 +0200

Hello,

I am currently running squid3, Version 3.0.STABLE19, on an Ubuntu 10.4
server as a reverse proxy for an eZPublish backend application. The
squid.conf contains the following uncommented lines:

acl manager proto cache_object
acl localhost src 127.0.0.1/32
acl to_localhost dst 127.0.0.0/8
acl PURGE method PURGE
http_access allow PURGE localhost
http_access deny PURGE
acl SSL_ports port 80
acl CONNECT method CONNECT
http_access allow manager localhost
http_access deny manager
http_access deny !Safe_ports
http_access deny CONNECT !SSL_ports
http_access allow localhost
http_access allow all
icp_access allow all
htcp_access deny all
http_port 81 vhost defaultsite=www.example.com
cache_peer 192.168.1.6 parent 80 0 no-query originserver
hierarchy_stoplist cgi-bin ?
cache_mem 512 MB
maximum_object_size_in_memory 50 KB
cache_dir ufs /var/spool/squid3 51200 30 256
access_log /var/log/squid3/access.log squid
cache_store_log none
url_rewrite_host_header off
acl QUERY urlpath_regex cgi-bin
cache deny QUERY
refresh_pattern -i \.(gif|png|jpg|jpeg|ico)$ 43200 90% 84600
refresh_pattern ^ftp: 1440 20% 10080
refresh_pattern ^gopher: 1440 0% 1440
refresh_pattern (cgi-bin|\?) 0 0% 0
refresh_pattern . 0 80% 1440
visible_hostname www.example.com
icp_port 3130
coredump_dir /var/spool/squid3

The apache virtual host configuration for the backend application
includes a number of server aliases for multiple TLDs, for example
www.example.es and www.example.de. These aliases point to the same
backend application and hence pages. During my testing of the squid
configuration, I have noticed that squid creates a separate cache
entry for the same requested page for the different TLDs. In other
words, it does not seem to use the same cached copy for
www.example.com/page1 and www.example.es/page1. Is there a way to
configure squid to serve the same cached copy for a page regardless of
the actual domain name?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Best regards,

Rebecca