Re: [squid-users] Same cached copy for multiple TLDs

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar_at_fantomas.sk>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 09:50:15 +0200

On 24.06.10 16:25, Rebecca Denham wrote:
> The apache virtual host configuration for the backend application
> includes a number of server aliases for multiple TLDs, for example
> www.example.es and www.example.de. These aliases point to the same
> backend application and hence pages.

This is problem of the configuration of web server. Two addresses mean two
objects and HTTP has no indication that they are the same (how would that
work even?). The same problem arises with clients, proxies etc.
You may often get recommentation to redirect one web to another because of
the SEO optimalization (your page rank won't be splitted between more
sites).

> During my testing of the squid
> configuration, I have noticed that squid creates a separate cache
> entry for the same requested page for the different TLDs. In other
> words, it does not seem to use the same cached copy for
> www.example.com/page1 and www.example.es/page1. Is there a way to
> configure squid to serve the same cached copy for a page regardless of
> the actual domain name?

squid-2.7 supports the store rewriter which does what you need. But better
configure apache not to provide same content on more sites (e.g. redirect
one to another).

Emacs is a complicated operating system without good text editor.