Re: [squid-users] Optimized Squids

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 01:08:04 +1200

B. Cook wrote:

> What would it be for FreeBSD?
>
> http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/SystemSpecificOptimizations
>
> http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/DiskDaemon - is diskd still the
> best choice for a BSD?

Yes.

> I know 3.x had some issues (about a year ago) with aufs and coss..

COSS still has issues in 3.x.

> What would be the recommended for a BSD? (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD.. )

diskd unfortunately.

> and does i386 and amd64 make a difference?

Well, in so far as 32-bit imposes limits on a lot of things ...

... only the usual 32-bit vs 64-bit stuff.

> (devils advocate question.. )
>
> does just compiling with aufs make squid make use of multi-core threads?
> - As in would there be a difference with squid performance (other than
> non-caching) if cache_dir null /tmp is set? - with and without aufs..

No AUFS does not affect the non-disk parts of Squid.

Using a memory to cache is simply faster than a disk cache. By the same
factor as I/O to the underlying storage media. There just isn't enough
of it to go around in most installs.

Amos

--
Please be using