Re: [squid-users] Optimized Squids

From: B. Cook <bcook_at_poughkeepsieschools.org>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 08:17:28 -0400

>>> Optimization tip #3: use fastest disk IO method available.
>>> Fedora being a linux that would be AUFS.
>>>

>>> see tip #3. AUFS makes use of multi-core threads, diskd process is
>>> single-threaded even if it runs additional to the Squid main thread.

What would it be for FreeBSD?

http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/SystemSpecificOptimizations

http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/DiskDaemon - is diskd still the
best choice for a BSD?

I know 3.x had some issues (about a year ago) with aufs and coss..

What would be the recommended for a BSD? (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD.. )

and does i386 and amd64 make a difference?

(devils advocate question.. )

does just compiling with aufs make squid make use of multi-core threads?
  - As in would there be a difference with squid performance (other than
non-caching) if cache_dir null /tmp is set? - with and without aufs..

Thanks in advance