[squid-users] Re: How to measure interest usage (via proxy) from PC?

From: Greg Hauptmann <greg.hauptmann.ruby_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 13:24:39 +1000

Hi,

If I am measuring network usage from a PC (using Wireshark or Network
Monitor for example) for traffic going out to internet through a proxy
server, how can I measure (estimate) the amount of internet usage
(i.e. from the proxy server's point of view) from the PC? . For
example:

(a) which packets should be included when summing up usage (e.g. HTTP,
TCP, TLS etc), and
(b) within each packet, say a HTTP one, what size to use (e.g. Overall
Frame Length, Ipv4 Total Length, HTTP Content Length)

Perhaps for example, the answer may be to only sum the HTTP packets,
and also from these packets only use the HTTP Content Length?

thanks