Re: [squid-users] Re: How to measure interest usage (via proxy) from PC?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 16:55:56 +1200

Greg Hauptmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If I am measuring network usage from a PC (using Wireshark or Network
> Monitor for example) for traffic going out to internet through a proxy
> server, how can I measure (estimate) the amount of internet usage
> (i.e. from the proxy server's point of view) from the PC? . For
> example:
>
> (a) which packets should be included when summing up usage (e.g. HTTP,
> TCP, TLS etc), and
> (b) within each packet, say a HTTP one, what size to use (e.g. Overall
> Frame Length, Ipv4 Total Length, HTTP Content Length)
>
> Perhaps for example, the answer may be to only sum the HTTP packets,
> and also from these packets only use the HTTP Content Length?

You are the only one who can answer any of those questions. What you
count depends entirely on whether counting each particular piece of info
is useful to you.

Wireshark will give you exact count for whatever you choose to measure.
Neither of the above measurements is relevant to Squid.

If it's just HTTP request/reply data flowing through Squid that you are
interested in the Squid access.log will give you exact byte counters of
header+object size with the %st logformat tag.

Amos

--
Please be using