Re: [squid-users] Ideal partition size for good hit ratio ?

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar_at_fantomas.sk>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 16:43:48 +0200

On 09.07.10 11:14, sameer khan wrote:
> thank for repy matus. I am not trying to cache large object in coss,
> it is max limit to 100000. Want to achieve is best hit ratio.

request hit ratio or byte hit ratio? Those two are different.

> I am guessing if the cache size is too small it will
> have effect on hit ratio.

of course. But If you will have too big COSS cache_dir, it may hold small
objects for a long time, and there will be no place for (a)ufs/diskd to hold
big objects. Since big objects tend to take more place, you may find out
that you have small byte-hit ratio even if high request hit ratio.

> As there are many small objects, i want to cache them in
> coss and reset in aufs. So if i use more than one coss directory
> on the same drive, is it also not recommended (as with aufs) or it is
> ok if i do that.

there's no use for that. and as I said, you apparently need less data for
COSS, not more.

> Does any one know upper limit of squid's request per sec. As my squid box
> is working perfectly for ~350 request per sec. But it slows down on ~600
> request per sec. any suggestion will be much appreciated.

it mostly depends on the HW. you can tune the SW to hold up to SW/HW
possibilities.

> I am using browser, i dont think i can limit it to 72 line. So doing it
> manually.

it's apparently the webmail (hotmail issue)... well, microsoft is very
"good" at ignoring good practices

Emacs is a complicated operating system without good text editor.