RE: [squid-users] hi

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 05:27:59 +0000

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 00:04:27 +0000, Albert Wang <albert_wang_at_hotmail.com>
wrote:
> Thanks Amos and flyinghawk2k.
>
> I think I actually got squid built and running.
> I ran ./configure with just the " --prefix=/usr/local/squid" option to
get
> started.
> I didn't change anything in the squid.conf file.
> After I started squid, a "ps" command yielded expected results.
> I then configured my browser to point to local host, port 3128, and
> entered a known url.
> The access.log file showed entries reflecting resources downloaded from
> the url entered.
> I stopped squid, and tried to refresh the previous url, but it failed as
> expected.
>
> I seemed to have some trouble getting squid to stop with "squid -k
> shutdown".
> Is there a more advisable way to stop squid?
> Also, where can I find the squid.pid file?

At the location you specified withe the build option
--with-pidfile=/path/squid.pid
or since you seem not to have built with that option, squid attempts and
fails to create one at a BSD-specific location which does not exist on
Linux.

NP: -k shutdown will be broken by a missing PID.

Use the options I linked to the wiki for. They make the logs and pid file
etc appear in the locations needed by your OS.

>> These are the minimal set of options to integrate with Debian based OS
>> including Ubuntu:
>> http://wiki.squid-cache.org/KnowledgeBase/Debian#Compiling

Amos