Re: [squid-users] Strange problem with squid (an application is not working but squid doesn't login any error)

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 04:55:52 +1200

Denis BUCHER wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I hope my question is not too stupid because I don't really understand
> what is happening.
>
> An application (from Garmin to update GPS devices) is working when
> directly connected to Internet, but not working when using the proxy.
> In the log files, the last log line from this PC is :
>
> 1280491186.070 1083 172.16.1.103 TCP_MISS/417 1874 POST
> http://rmu.garmin.com/Rmu - NONE/- text/html
>
> And then, nothing more...
>
> It seems the application is communicating thru a POST and XML files, but
> what could be the reason that makes it not working when using the proxy ?
> The application is doing some other requests before this one, including
> CONNECT on port 443...
>
> Any help or advice, or any advice on how to debug more would be greatly
> appreciated !
>
> Denis

It is using the HTTP/1.1-only header "Expect:". The HTTP/1.1 response to
these headers is a 100, a 417 or a 200 status code. It completely breaks
if the 100 status gets sent over any HTTP/1.0 software such as squid.

Squid is now just smart enough to identify those requests and follows
the RFC 2616 requirement of sending back the HTTP/1.1 417 try-again
response instead of wasting bandwidth ans server time before dying on
the 100.

If that is the last request that it dies on the client software is
broken in the way it handles the 417. It is expected to retry an old
HTTP/1.0 style POST with body data after receiving that status.

Amos

--
Please be using