Re: [squid-users] upgrade

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 02:00:53 +1200

Riaan Nolan wrote:
> Centos meh. their repo's are so far behind they think they are in front.
>
> It's better to upgrade. Since I upgraded things started working
> properly, like external ACLs with ldap_groups in Active Directory.
> No more problems for me.
>
> > Can I leave the existing cache in place and config files or
> I trashed my existing cache, so I would not know if it will work.
>
> Don't compile it from SRC ... get the src RPM e.g
> yum install rpm-build openjade linuxdoc-tools openldap-devel pam-devel
> openssl-devel httpd rpm-devel
> wget
> http://www.jur-linux.com/rpms/el-updates/5Client/SRPMS/squid-3.1.0.15-2.el5.src.rpm
>
> rpm -ivh squid-3.1.0.15-2.el5.src.rpm
> rpmbuild -bb squid.spec

Looks like they have 3.1.4 in there too. Either one.

> All the best to you :)
>
> ciao/Riaan
>
> On 03/08/2010 14:44, J. Webster wrote:
>> I currently have squid 2.6 running on centos - they haven't updated =
>> their
>> repository yet.
>> WIll upgrading to 3.1.6 have any performance
>> enhancements?

Over 2.6 definitely.
A small bit in speed, and a LOT in HTTP/1.1 protocol support which
amounts to streamlining and bandwidth.

>> Can I leave the existing cache in place and config files or
>> will they be =
>> overwritten during the make commands?

Only existing binaries and documentation gets replaced.

Existing cache is not touched until squid starts. Then some pieces get
upgraded during normal operation.

Existing config is not touched, new config files should get added as/if
needed.

Amos

--
Please be using