[squid-users] NEWBIE Q: httpd_accel_single_host?

From: AJ Weber <aweber_at_comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 14:06:32 -0400

Does anyone have any config examples, tips or FAQ about simulating the "old"
(pre 2.6, at least) single-host acceleration (i.e. as was done with the
directive in the subject)?

I have Duane Wessels' O'Reilly book here, and am trying to build a very
specific server accelerator for across a slow, WAN link, but just for a
single back-end host. (Chapter 15, pg 307, if you're now following-along
;) )

It being very specific, I can get the clients to request content directly
from the Squid host (instead of the original), but then need Squid to know
how to replace the host-portion of the URL for cache-misses to get the
content.

So instead of my client requesting www.original.org/index.htm it will
already have determined on the client-side that it is over a slow link and
instead request www.proxy.org/index.htm . Of course, the proxy is just
Squid, and it should check for a cache hit and return if possible; if no
cache hit, Squid has to know to send the request to www.original.org by some
configuration option.

If I can explain further my specific needs, I would be happy to. Please
ask!

Thanks in advance for any help.

-AJ