[squid-users] Clients issuing URLs directly to Squid port, URL rewrite to translate to "correct" intended URL

From: Bucci, David G <david.g.bucci_at_lmco.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 12:54:24 -0400

Hi, all - I won't go into full details, but we have a situation where we have very little control over a certain bespoke application, whose web service calls we want to proxy through a local Squid instance (refer to my recent exchange on using Squid as a poor-man's SSL VPN). We can't reimplement the application to respect or support proxy settings; about all we can do is set the URLs that the application will use for its web service calls.

So I'm wondering if this scenario could be made to work, to force the app's web service calls through a local Squid instance - assume we have 2 web services, ServiceA hosted on ServerA, and ServiceB hosted on (wait for it ...) ServerB; and we know that there are no duplicate service names, and we can map from a service name to the correct server name hosting that service.

- Run Squid on the PC, on port 3128

- Configure the application to call http://localhost:3128/ServiceA or http://localhost:3128/ServiceB

- Via URL rewriting, rewrite the first call to http://ServerA:80/ServiceA, and the 2nd call to http://ServerB:80/ServiceB

- Have Squid perform its normal processing on the resulting request (in this case, per the other email exchange, establishing an SSL connection, using the user's certificate, to a cache-peer Squid instance on e.g. ServerA, which will in turn call the web service ServiceA being hosted on WebLogic on ServerA:80)

It boils down to whether Squid will accept an HTTP call directly to its listening port, and if it does, will it shell to an URL rewriter to process such a call.

Any thoughts appreciated, thank you.

----
David G. Bucci
When Dr. Bruce Banner becomes angry, he changes into the Incredible Hulk; when the Incredible Hulk becomes angry, he changes into Chuck Norris.
                           -- ChuckNorrisFacts.com