Re: [squid-users] Re: EXTERNAL: [squid-users] NEWBIE Q: httpd_accel_single_host?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2010 00:03:52 +0000

On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 17:02:24 -0400, "AJ Weber" <aweber_at_comcast.net> wrote:
> True, but in my case, I don't want ALL users to use the proxy. Only
users
> in a certain geography to cache content that's coming "across the pond".
>
> Thus, my application is "smart enough" to know where the user physically
> is
> located on the WAN, and will ask for the content directly from the
> original/source if they are "local" to that datacenter; it will ask for
it
> from Squid if they are "far away".
>
> I also don't have control over DNS entries (I can request them, but
again,
> the previous) sentence.

See my other post for references to the documentation.

Note the DNS part of reverse-proxy only exists so clients know where to
send their requests. Exactly as they require DNS to find a plain website.
  You seem to have solved that problem by non-DNS means. The Squid part of
the setup is unchanged between full reverse-proxy and what you ask.

Amos