Re: [squid-users] filedescriptor usage observation in 3.2.0.1

From: Nyamul Hassan <mnhassan_at_usa.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 17:11:43 +0600

File Descriptor count and Cache Client count are not the same thing.

File Descriptors are needed whenever Squid has to write / read to a
file or the network (server or client side).  So, even if only one
user is using, Squid might have needed 50 FDs.

If the cache.log is giving warnings about Squid running out of FDs,
then please increase them.

CacheClients, on the other hand, is not something that Squid can keep
track of accurately.  For example, if whenever a request has been
served to the client, Squid has no means of finding out if that client
is still online and reading the content just served, or has the client
switched off.

That is why, Squid keeps the client as "online" in that CacheClients
count, until a certain time, after which Squid lowers the number.

Regards
HASSAN