Re: [squid-users] Squid 3.1.6 tracking image ?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 18:20:32 +1200

John Michaels wrote:
> Hello everyone.
>

> First of all, let me begin by thanking the developer team for their hard work ...
> I've been using squid to improve network performance for a small network (~200 sistems) for some years.
>
> Recently, I've upgraded to 3.1.6 (from the Gentoo portage) and I was ... unpleasantly surprised to discover that the
> CSS used to generate errors pages (errorpage.css) contains a reference to 'http://www.squid-cache.org/Artwork/SN.png'.
>
> While i agree that the new error page looks better, I find it an odd choice to include an absolute url to an external
> site. Not only is this generating additional load on the squid-cache.org site, but it also makes every browser that
> encounters an error download this .PNG, possibly transmitting user agent and other identifying information.
>
> If this topic has already beed discused, please direct me to the relevant thread.
> If not, then I would like to heard your opinions/comments.

It has been mentioned. Please be assured we do intend or use it as a
tracker.

The image provided has a long a caching time to push it out as far
towards the client as possible. If working your Squid should be able to
cache it on the first error and display it's cached version to all
following clients.

It's pulled in via the CSS config file installed in your /etc/squid
directory and fully editable to remove or replace the branding if you
desire.

Amos

--
Please be using