[squid-users] Connection lost in browser based curriculum

From: DanC <dchin_at_foxvalleybaptist.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 00:17:23 -0700 (PDT)

List,
I have recently setup Squid for the first time. I work for a small school
and our goal is to use a machine running Squid, Dan's Guardian, Shorewall
and a few other things to make an effective filter to protect our students
and keep our parents happy. So far, everything works wonderfully with Squid
proxying transparently. Everyone can get where they need to go and not get
where they shouldn't go. In general we are quite happy with this setup.

We do have one problem though. We use a browser based curriculum on web
servers somewhere 2000 miles away from us. These servers require a constant
connection to the browser, apparently to prevent cheating. When the
workstations are connected through my squid box, they give "Connection lost"
errors after 5-10 minutes even though I can continuously ping the whole time
without any dropped packets. Connecting to the internet directly through
our old firewall works fine and the connections don't get lost.

So far I have tried using "cache" and "always_direct" to fix my symptoms,
but have been unsuccessful. Does anyone know what I might be missing?
Thanks in advance.

Daniel