[squid-users] WCCP and parent authentication

From: Dean Weimer <dweimer_at_orscheln.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 14:00:57 -0500

I know when using squid as an intercept proxy it can't do authentication as the clients don't know it's there, but do any of you out there know if you can use it with a parent proxy that requires authentication?

The specific scenario I am considering is Squid in DMZ with WCCPv2 used in conjunction with a Cisco ASA 5520 firewall and an external (Websense filtering) proxy that requires authentication, both NTLM and basic authentication is supported.

Clients

Cisco ASA5520 -WCCPv2- Squid 3.1.6 (In DMZ) -- Secondary Internet Connection -- Parent Proxy Service

Internet

We are currently using auto-detect, but continually keep running into applications that don't recognize auto-detect, or sometimes don't even have the ability to read a configuration script. I am trying to come up with a way to alleviate the user's issues, without losing our local cache. And keeping the HR and Legal departments happy by continuing to filter websites with content that some could find offensive, as well as blocking unsafe (malware/spyware) websites.

Thanks,
     Dean Weimer
     Network Administrator
     Orscheln Management Co