RE: [squid-users] A single website is loading slow

From: Paul Freeman <paul.freeman_at_eml.com.au>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 15:54:59 +1000

I have had a quick look at the url you mentioned using Squid 3.0STABLE19 and
IE7 (Windows XP SP2).

There are 2 requests in the Squid access log which seem to take a while to
retrieve:
www.realestate.com/css/global/site.css followed by
www.realestate.com/JS/common/re-all/re-all.js. These requests are approx.
200KB and 740KB respectively and take about 24sec and 42sec respectively to
load on our ADSL2+ connection.

When accessing the site directly rather than via squid from the same client,
it takes about 15-20sec for the page to load.

On the second access using Squid, the page loads in approx. 15-20sec.
TCP_HIT is recorded in the Squid access log for the 2 urls mentioned above.

I am not sure why it takes longer to load in Squid the first time except that
maybe it is related to the browser using HTTP1.1 features (Accept-Encoding,
Transfer-Encoding, etc) as I notice the data is compressed for the direct
connection and uncompressed for the squid connection and the amount of data
for the requests is approx 1/4-1/3 for the direct connection versus via
squid. Perhaps Amos will have some ideas?

Regards

Paul

database 5432 (20100907) __________

http://www.eset.com