Re: [squid-users] few questions before I start to use it.

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 21:48:00 +1200

On 11/09/10 20:52, nonlin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am looking into Squid for just a basic proxy. you know Browser or app on a
> workstation talks to Squid on Server.
>
> 1. how do you turn off the cache? I don't need it and it will probably
> interfere.

You make two wrong assumptions;
  Firstly you *will* benefit, cached data is at minimum 10x faster to
load than non-cached. Secondly no it will not interfere (unless you
start configuring it to store stuff which should not be stored). The
problem with caches lies more in the fact that many websites wrongly
prevent caching of stuff that really should be stored.

In Squid-3.1+: to remove the disk cache(s) by removing the cache_dir
lines from squid.conf.

In Squid-2.x and 3.0: to configure "cache_dir null /tmp" as the only
cache_dir type.

You then tune cache_mem to whatever size you find appropriate to store
some few minutes of traffic.

> 2. I may have to put squid on a Lenix server that host websites, email, ect.
> But I don't what squid to interfere with the services that are already
> running, squid is to be totally separate. What should I watch out for to
> keep it that way.

Squid has no relation to any other protocol services.

The only thing to watch out for is memory usage; the box running Squid
must not start swapping RAM in or out, this leads to drastically reduced
performance on the whole box.

> 3. Can squid proxy a rage of ports? Some of my internet apps may let me set
> them to one ip, but may still use several ports.

Squid can listen on any port you like, or several. The only restriction
is that all data transferring over the port must be HTTP.

If your apps are using a port other than port 80 for their native
traffic it's highly likely that they are not using HTTP over those other
ports.

Amos

--
Please be using