Re: [squid-users] RE: squid/3.0.STABLE7 - File Desc issues

From: Jordon Bedwell <jordon_at_envygeeks.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 18:48:23 -0500

On 09/14/2010 03:38 PM, donald.dawson_at_bakerbotts.com wrote:
> I had the same issue. We are running Squid 3.1.4 installed via yum. We
> can increase our FDs. On our compiled Squid servers, our only option is
> to recompile with a larger FD amount.
>
> If you have a yum or install from an rpm, you can edit your
> /etc/init.d/squid startup script add set the ulimit before squid starts:

This is more of gotcha more than it is anything else and working as
intended IMO. The system defines the max file descriptors regardless of
what Squid might want and you *almost* properly implemented increasing
the file descriptors before loading Squid (which mind you changes it
system wide unil reboot). You should be editing:
/etc/security/limits.conf before increasing the max_filedesc so if your
default is 1024 then Squid can't allocate more than that until you
either set ulimit by command (which Donald demonstrated) or you properly
implement a perma-fix in limits.conf, EXP: * - nofile 4096