Re: [squid-users] RE: squid/3.0.STABLE7 - File Desc issues

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 01:15:09 +0000

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 18:48:23 -0500, Jordon Bedwell <jordon_at_envygeeks.com>
wrote:
> On 09/14/2010 03:38 PM, donald.dawson_at_bakerbotts.com wrote:
>> I had the same issue. We are running Squid 3.1.4 installed via yum. We
>> can increase our FDs. On our compiled Squid servers, our only option
is
>> to recompile with a larger FD amount.
>>
>> If you have a yum or install from an rpm, you can edit your
>> /etc/init.d/squid startup script add set the ulimit before squid
starts:

> This is more of gotcha more than it is anything else and working as
> intended IMO. The system defines the max file descriptors regardless of
> what Squid might want and you *almost* properly implemented increasing
> the file descriptors before loading Squid (which mind you changes it
> system wide unil reboot). You should be editing:
> /etc/security/limits.conf before increasing the max_filedesc so if your
> default is 1024 then Squid can't allocate more than that until you
> either set ulimit by command (which Donald demonstrated) or you properly
> implement a perma-fix in limits.conf, EXP: * - nofile 4096

You can set max_filedesc (or the actual name: max_filedescriptors) to
anything you like.
If the system limits are set to anything less Squid will downgrade to
those and display a warning. Unfortunatly this is done before cache.log is
opened so the warning usually appears in syslog and gets overlooked.

Thanks for the /etc/security/limits.conf hint.

Amos