Re: [squid-users] Persistent Server connections, pipelining and matching responses

From: Henrik Nordström <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 00:21:36 +0200

ons 2010-09-15 klockan 11:27 -0700 skrev cachenewbie:

> I am trying to understand Squid behavior when server side connection is
> pinned (persistent) and pipelining is enabled on both client and server side
> in a transparent proxy configuration.

In default configuration Squid serializes pipelined requests, processing
them one at a time.

> If there are multiple HTTP requests coming from multiple clients for the
> same server and if the requests are sent on the same TCP connection to the
> server, how will the proxy match the responses to those requests to
> appropriate clients?

Squid just sends one request at a time per server connection, and reuses
the same connection for another request when the complete response have
been seen.

In future we may pipeline many requests concurrently under specific
conditions. HTTP defines how replies match up with their requests by
same order. If requests A B C is sent pipelined to a server then the
server MUST respond in the same order, response A B C.