Re: [squid-users] One slow Website Through Proxy

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 03:31:28 +0000

On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 16:00:32 -0400, "Chad Naugle"
<Chad.Naugle_at_travimp.com>
wrote:
> I am not sure what is causing the issue, but in my own test, IE8
performed
> SLOOOWWWW by far (Using the PROD Proxy), where under Firefox 3.5.13
(Using
> my DEV Proxy), the site was almost instantly available while the IE8 was
> STILL loading the same page. After the first load, my PROD Proxy under
IE8
> loaded considerably faster, but not anywhere close to as fast as with
> Firefox 3.5.13, for the first attempt.

> Chad E. Naugle
> Tech Support II, x. 7981
> Travel Impressions, Ltd.

> I am running squid 3.1.8, and have one website that pauses for about 1
> 2 minutes before loading. The website is www.pb.com (PitneyBowes).
There
> are no errors logged in the cache.log file, and nothing unusual in the
> access.log file. I have even done network packet captures and don't see
> anything unusual. The website responds fine when bypassing the proxy
and
> every other website appears to be fine through the proxy server.
>
> I have tested with both IE and Firefox, using my default wpad.dat script
> with auto detect and manually specifying the proxy server with no
change.
> And even tried turning HTTP/1.1 through proxy servers on and off at the
> browser, nothing seems to affect its behavior.
>
> Can any of you confirm whether or not this website is slow through your
> setups, or have any idea what could be causing this issue?

The www.pb.com domain times out while resolving AAAA DNS records instead
of returning NXDOMAIN or SERVFAIL response. Default DNS timeout is 2
minutes. After which Squid will use the A results to fetch the page.

Amos