Re: [squid-users] reverse proxy

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2010 22:51:19 +1300

On 04/10/10 22:38, Nick Cairncross wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> A few idle moments on my hands I wanted to investigate getting a Squid box working behind my ADSL router. Squid would be listening on, say, 80 to incoming requests. ADSL router would be port forwarding 80 to it. I have a machine which runs a lot of web browseable add-ons all listening on different ports (nzb, image library, my EPG for XBMC etc). My setup would be similar to: I own foo.com. If I browse to http://nzb.foo.com traffic would be proxied to my linux box nzb handler, the nzb app would be listening on port 8800 but it would all go over 80. Similarly, I browse to http://image.foo.com and I would be directed to the box's image server listen on port 8081 – again traffic would be seen as if over 80. Again if I went to http://epg.foo.com it would be proxied to the EPG listening on 8082.
>
> I've not really had any exposure to this sort of thing but I think the concept is possible..? Any pointers or sample confs would be great to get me started…
>
> Nick

http://wiki.squid-cache.org/ConfigExamples/Reverse/MultipleWebservers

It works best with apps which can be configured with some public
domain:port separate from their listening ip:port.
  Otherwise you get into a bit of trickiness requiring Squid to be
listening publicly on the same ports as the app to catch any absolute
URLs the apps send out.

Amos

--
Please be using