Re: Fwd: [squid-users] URL redirection in offline mode

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2010 23:54:35 +1300

On 06/10/10 22:55, mohd hafiz wrote:
> [...]

No need for that. redirect is automatic by prefer_direct. The local
server just needs to accept the random domains passed to it by Squid.

> i have configure my cache_peer to:
>
> cache_peer example.com 3128 3130 default

example.com being your "local server". Is that another proxy or a web
server? The answer will determine whether you use port 3128/3130 or 80/0.

> and enable
>
> prefer_direct on
>
> but the browser still tried to reach the internet. it takes a few
> minutes to resolve to my local page. any advised?

Are you doing WCCP, NAT interception or transparent proxy?

If yes,
   the browser will be attempting and failing its own DNS to go direct
to the Internet Squid cannot help here. Connectivity failover with a
proxy is not easily compatible with interception.

If no,
   Squid should be receiving an ICMP message from your router or its own
outgoing NIC indicating the Internet is unavailable. If that is not
happening you need to fix it.

  connect_timeout value can be tuned to adjust the time Squid waits
before attempting the peer. Squid will try connect_timeout (1 minute)
for each IP of the website before attempting another route.

  dns_timeout may also help if your DNS server is taking too long when
the network is down. Default there is 2 minutes.

Amos

--
Please be using
   Beta testers wanted for 3.2.0.2