Re: [squid-users] Strange problem with Monkey HTTP Daemon, Squid 3 and localhost

From: Simón <simon_at_simonbcn.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2010 13:08:52 +0200

  El 06/10/10 01:42, Amos Jeffries escribió:

Thanks by response.
I forgot to say that I use squid in my home, it's for personal use. My
unique intention to install Squid in my PC is to speed up my surfing
with: cache (Squid), Precatching (squid-prefetch) and block advertising
banners (bannerfilter).
> On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 16:13:12 +0200, Simón<simon_at_simonbcn.net> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I have installed Squid 3.1.8 compiled from sources + Squid-Prefetch
>> + Bannerfilter (http://phroggy.com/bannerfilter/) + Monkey HTTP Daemon
>> (http://www.monkey-project.com/) on Ubuntu 10.04 32 bits.
>> My squid config is:
>> ——————————————————————————————
>>
>> acl manager proto cache_object
>> acl localhost src 127.0.0.0/8
>> acl localnet src 192.168.1.0/24
>>
>> acl to_localhost dst 127.0.0.1
>> acl to_router dst 192.168.1.1
>>
>> acl Safe_ports port 80
>>
>> http_access allow manager localhost
>> http_access deny manager
>>
>> http_access allow localnet
>> http_access allow localhost
> Hmm, localnet and localhost unrestricted access.
It's for personal use.

>> http_port 3128 transparent
>>
>> cache_mem 512 MB
>> cache_dir ufs /var/cache/squid 20480 16 256
>> coredump_dir /var/cache/squid
>>
>> url_rewrite_program /etc/squid/bannerfilter/redirector.pl
>> url_rewrite_children 10
>>
>> half_closed_clients off
>> server_persistent_connections off
>> client_persistent_connections off
>>
>> ——————————————————————————————
>>
>> Monkey HTTP Daemon listen petitions at 127.0.0.1:80
>> Bannerfilter is configured to serve its replacement files (to replace
>> the ads) from http://127.0.0.1/bannerfilter/
>> Well, this works but, and this is the strange, it works even if "Monkey
>> HTTP Daemon" is closed!! O_O
> Are you getting the replacement banners? or the original ones?
Replacement banners. Purpose of bannerfilter script: "This script blocks
advertising banners on the Web. If you have a slow Internet connection,
it will speed up your surfing, since the banners are not downloaded from
the Internet at all. "
> Are you sure the URL re-writer is producing valid URLs? I just fixed a bug
> where 3.x would not warn when it was dropping invalid URI.
Yes, the browser displays the replacement banners.
> And most importantly where is your contract with the website owner(s)
> which permits you to alter their hosting service AUP?
This is not the issue, but can't I decide what my browser downloads or
not from a website in my PC?
Repeat: I use squid in my home, it's for personal use.
>> I have cleared the Squid cache with:
>> ——————————————————————————————
>>
>> sudo service squid stop
>> sudo rm -Rf /var/cache/squid/*
>> sudo squid -z
>> sudo service squid start
>>
>> ——————————————————————————————
>> But it still works without webserver!
>> After, I have reset the PC (disabling "Monkey HTTP Daemon" start) and
>> Squid still works with Bannerfilter but without webserver!
>> Moreover, I have modified several HTML files, in directory containing
>> the HTML and graphics files of Bannerfilter, but Squid shows the old
> files!
>> I don't understand nothing. How can be this possible!?
> web browser cache?
No, it was cleared too. It's cleared every time that I close the browser.
> You are running "Monkey HTTP Daemon" on your web browser local host?
Yes, everything (squid, webserver, browser, etc...) is in the same PC.
>> By other hand, I can't access to localhost directly from browser (with
>> or without "Monkey HTTP Daemon").
> Of course. You are using a "transparent" interception proxy. "localhost"
> and "127.0.0.1" and "[::1]" in the browser address bar on these setups
> means the machine your browser runs on
Ok, but it's the same machine.
> They only ever mean the proxy machine when the browser is configured to
> pass requests to the proxy. Without performing it's own DNS on the URI
> which would resolve them to itself.
I don't understand this at all (sorry, my english isn't very good).

My questions:
1) How can Squid serves objects (images, html pages, etc...) from
http://localhost if there isn't any webserver running?
2) Why the browser can't access directly to the webserver (when the
webserver is up)? This question isn't very important, it's only curiosity.

Regards.