[squid-users] Squid::Guard perl module announce

From: Squid at Iotti dot Biz <squid_at_iotti.biz>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 22:38:10 +0200

Hi all

I wrote a perl module for creating redirectors for Squid. As the name
implies, it was inspired by squidGuard. It aims to be more flexible and to
some extent even simpler to use.
I was happy with squidGuard and used it for years. But sometimes I needed
some extra features like the ability to differentiate between users
belonging to different groups, or to take decisions based on some external
program output, etc. squidGuard did not support this directly, so I had to
choose between complicated configurations with tricks to circumvent these
limitations, or writing some dedicated redirector. Soon Squid::Guard was
born.
The module has built-in support for some common tasks performed in Squid
redirectors, including:
- lookup of domain or url in .db files created from text list files, like
squidGuard does. Expression files are also supported.
- lookup of user in UNIX or winbind (SaMBa, Windows) groups

I consider the module beta, and certain features were just briefly tested at
the moment. But I use it in some production environments without problems.
Maybe others can be interested in it. It can be found on CPAN, the link to
the current version is http://search.cpan.org/~lux/Squid-Guard-0.11/ .