Re: [squid-users] Wccpv2 and Linux new kernel

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 21:32:19 +0000

On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 21:28:39 +0200, gael <gael.therond_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear people ;-D
>
> I had tried during the whole week to setup a correct configuration of
> Squid using WCCPv2 on a linux Debian with 2.6.35.7 (self compiled)
> kernel based box.
>
> But unfortunatly, none of my research had been working.
>
> I got a couple of questions about this situation.
>
> First one: - ip_wccp seems to be deprecated from now on the 2.6.35
> kernel, your makefile require a config.h file which no longer exist on
> Linux kernel (even on the sources). Do I have to use IP_GRE instead of
> IP_WCCP?

Yes. The module is now built and supplied with the mainstream kernels.

> Second one: - How could I monitor my GRE Tunnel? I'd try the followings
> methods without any results:
>
> tcpdump -vX -i eth0 proto gre
> --> Nothing appears, even if my Cisco router says it had seen and
> connected the GRE Tunnel

Is the tunnel connected to the right address?

NOTE: What many of the Cisco devices call "router ID" and display as IP
address is not always the IP it sends from. To troubleshoot, find all the
IPs used by the router and make a GRE tunnel from the Linux box to each.
tcpdump should show which one is working.

> tcpdump -vX -i gre0
> --> Nothing appears, even if my Cisco router says it had seen and
> connected the GRE Tunnel

Just the tunnel setup? or does it identify some packets arriving from
Squid? this latter can be seen in the WCCP report section as connected
peers or proxy servers.

Amos