[squid-users] The Never Ending FD Problem and a SOAP Issue

From: Bradley, Stephen W. Mr. <bradlesw_at_muohio.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 10:44:40 -0400

I currently have 5 Squid servers running, 3 prod and 2 test.

They all run 3.1.1 on RedHat Enterprise 5 2.6.18-128.el5

No problems that I know of.

So I have to turn up a server half way around the world and we use RH Ent5 2.6.18-194.el5 and Squid v3.1.4.

I could not get the File Descriptors to increase beyond the out-of-box 1024 no matter what I tried and believe me I have done this enough to know how to get them to increase. I gave up since this was going to be a low use system and I got tired of fighting it.

We let it run for a few days and all seemed okay, we never went above about 6-700 FDs in use. Then we get a note say8ing that one of our people can't get to a certain website that had a .asmx suffix.

Turns out a search finally turned up a possible SOAP problem with Squid so I just now upgraded to 3.1.8 and low and behold the File Descriptor problem is fixed again (I have 32768) and I suspect my SOAP problem is gone as well but we haven't tested it yet due to the time difference.

Just an FYI that it looks like there are at least two issues with 3.1.4.

Steve