[squid-users] Basic questions - Forward proxy, reverse proxy, squid performance

From: cachenewbie <email2srini_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 08:36:34 -0700 (PDT)

Hi - In a transparent mode, is there any "protocol" and "functional"
difference between squid running in forward mode and reverse mode ? i.e.
other than talking to a dedicated backend, is reverse proxy doing the same
thing as forward proxy w.r.t to HTTP "caching" proxy functionality

Also are there any good performance numbers with latest version of Squid
3.1.6 ? I've read posts comparing nginx and Squid citing that former is
better than latter - but I am curious if the differences still persist with
the latest event driven model in 3.1.6 ? For forward transparent proxy mode,
has someone evaluated the pros and cons of Squid/Nginx ?