Re: Fwd: [squid-users] URL redirection in offline mode

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 02:27:32 +0000

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 09:11:43 +0800, mohd hafiz <bmhafiz_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>> When a browser is configured to use a proxy it *never* performs DNS for
>> traffic sent there. The proxy does it all instead. When a browser is
not
>> aware of the proxy (NAT interception) it performs its own DNS which
gets
>> discarded again as the packets enter the proxy.
>
> oo..i see. squid will do the dns lookup for the browser.
>>
>> DNS inside Squid follows required specifications. Yes it caches DNS,
for
>> the times required by individual IPs and domains. If you don't
understand
>> any of it *don't touch*. Preventing caching of these will result in
your
>> users spending very large amounts of time waiting for pages to arrive.
>
> Is it able to set squid to always ask for new dns? i means that, the
> dns in squid become old/stale and squid
> perform new dns lookup for fresh dns when new request come from
> browser. in my mind, i think that i can play with the ttl.?

It's automatic. Every lookup the DNS server sends a TTL for the reply it
gave. The Squid default is to cap TTL at 6 hours. You can adjust that with
positive_dns_ttl. DNS best-practice is to use 24 hours max for long-lived
zones.

NP: Depending on how secure the resolver(s) are they may throttle down and
stop responding if you don't obey the TTL and request too often.

Amos