RE: [squid-users] Re: Authentication using squid_kerb_auth with Internet Explorer 8 on Windows Server 2008 R2

From: Paul Freeman <paul.freeman_at_eml.com.au>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 08:51:01 +1100

Markus
After further investigation using gdb I have been able to determine the
problem is caused by a particular combination of encryption and checksum
types which seems to only occur (at this stage) in Windows 2008 R2 and
possibly Windows 7 although I have not confirmed this.

In my Windows 2008 R2 environment (including Active Directory, running in
Windows 2003 mode rather than Windows 2008), the keytab which I created for
squid using msktutil (with enctypes = 28) gave me keys encrypted with ArcFour
with HMAC/md5, AES-128 CTS mode with 96-bit SHA-1 HMAC and AES-256 CTS mode
with 96-bit SHA-1 HMAC.

The problem lies with the Kerberos libraries installed with Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
(1.8.1+dfsg-2ubuntu0.3). They return an error when working with AES-256 and
the checksum encryption type ArcFour with HMAC/md5. This has been reported
on the MIT Kerberos developers list
(http://mailmain.mit.edu/pipermail/krbdev/2010-July/009148.html) and assigned
ticket 6751. This has been resolved and included in the MIT Kerberos 1.8.3
release. However, it does not appear to have been backported to Ubuntu 10.04
LTS yet.

I compiled the MIT Kerberos 1.8.3 source and re-built squid_kerb_auth against
these libraries and the problem no longer occurs ie. A domain user logged
into a Windows 2008 R2 server can authenticate using Kerberos in IE8.
Kerberos authentication continues to work with IE8 and Firefox in Windows XP
for domain users.

I greatly appreciate the assistance of Markus Moeller in resolving this.
Without his guidance and suggestions it would have taken me a lot longer to
nail down the problem.

Hopefully this information will be of some use to others.

Regards

Paul