Re: [squid-users] Question for y'all?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 14:13:23 +1300

On 20/11/10 07:29, Michial Thompson wrote:
> Changing the application so that non static pages isn't able to happen
> (long story). Most of the graphic files are going to be GIF/JPG/PNG
> extensions and are not streamed, but the link inside the app would be
> dynamically generated with the page.
>
> I'll have to look at the server settings, I can change them some, so
> they aren't telling the browsers not to cache. BUT the problem here
> was that in a lot of cases I have had to set the browsers to reload
> the page with every visit because caching at the browser side has been
> problematic in the past too.
>
> My thinking was that if I put a proxy server at the site and at least
> cached all the image files I could at least increase some of the
> performance, and cut out some of the traffice on the DSL. My
> assumption was that if I could cut the traffic on the DSL I could gain
> some performance for them.

You could also get the same by paying to have a larger backhaul line
installed to their site so they can access your app.

Sounds slightly ridiculous, but that is effectively what a proxy managed
by you would do for them unless you hobble it to only work for specific
traffic.

You could optimize your app to work well with caching and then market
the option of a proxy to them as a solution to all their HTTP bandwidth
issues. They will then get the extra benefits in other areas with no
cost to you, and will avoid the surprise of bandwidth drop when they
change service and your box is removed.

Amos

--
Please be using