RE: Re: [squid-users] Does squid proxy server support Streaming response?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 21:58:03 +0000

On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 13:44:52 -0500, "Bucci, David G"
<david.g.bucci_at_lmco.com> wrote:
> Twitter's Stream API is doing that chunked-encoding thing where it
leaves
> the connection open, and the server streams content of unspecified size,
> Amos. Like, to avoid the latency with polling (which you just use the
> Twitter REST API to do). I think they keep their servers from getting
> swamped by limiting it to 1 open connection per userid.
>
> And I think I remember reading it only supports GET, not POST, if that
> matters (probably doesn't at the Squid level -- the chunked encoding is
> probably enough to kill it, no?).

Aha! Thanks for that detail.

Yes, Squid 3.1 and older only do de-chunking. The first 7 bytes that come
back to the client say "HTTP/1.0" which give it a big hint about what
capabilities are available (ie no chunking!).

3.2 has much more 1.1 support and including full chunking support which
may be required to get this going.

Amos