RE: [squid-users] small objects memory caching issue ?

From: <vincent.blondel_at_ing.be>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2010 18:59:21 +0100

>> After some memory upgrade to 4GB RAM, I am trying to optimize my squid caches to maintain as most as little objects in memory without storing them on disk. Big objects are not kept in memory but stored on disk.
>>
>> these are my config parameters ...
>>
>> cache_mem 600 MB
>> memory_replacement_policy heap GDSF
>> maximum_object_size_in_memory 16 KB
>> cache_replacement_policy heap LFUDA
>> minimum_object_size 16 KB
>> maximum_object_size 100 KB
>> cache_swap_low 95
>> cache_swap_high 95
>>
>> acl QUERY urlpath_regex cgi-bin \?
>> cache deny QUERY
>
>The above lines are no longer recommended. Dynamic content can be and is
>emitted with suitable headers for caching.

many thks for your help, my cache is really behaving like a charm now ...

>Instead of this we recommend a new refresh_pattern added directly above
>the "." pattern one:
> refresh_pattern -i (/cgi-bin/|\?) 0 0% 0

can you give me some clarification on this because not so sure to understand everything ??

>> cache allow all
>>
>> I notice not all small objects are kept in memory but we are well speaking about objects ...
>>
>> * not containing ? in the query
>> * smaller than 16KB
>> * containing some explicit 'Content-Length' http header
>> * not containing any 'pragma no-cache' header
>>
>> so my questions are ...
>>
>> Is 'squidclient mgr:vm_objects |egrep 'GET|POST'' really the command to get all objects in memory (or is there another command) and is this command real-time (or do we have to expect some delay ) ??
>
>Yes it is. It is real-time as of the point at which squid started
>processing that cachemgr request.
>
>> Is the instruction 'cache' applicable for all kind of caching (memory and disk) or this only for disabling disk caching ??
>
>Yes this is a global control on cached objects.
>
>minimum_object_size and maximum_object_size are also global limits.
>
>By specifying "minimum_object_size 16KB" you are preventing caching of
>those objects smaller.
>
>Since you have Squid 2.7 you have the min-size parameter available on
>your cache_dir which prevents known smaller objects being stored there.
>
>I recommend a COSS directory for overflow of small objects from the RAM
>cache. COSS is optimized for small object storage with disk-backing a
>section of memory. The example COSS configs have all the settings you
>need to play with for splitting by object size regardless of whether you
>use COSS.

yes indeed it is foreseen but will be implemented in a next release because I first have to upgrade my package and integrating COSS in it .. not the case today.

>Amos
>--
>Please be using
> Current Stable Squid 2.7.STABLE9 or 3.1.9
> Beta testers wanted for 3.2.0.3

ATTENTION:
This e-mail is intended for the exclusive use of the
recipient(s). This e-mail and its attachments, if any, contain
confidential information and/or information protected by
intellectual property rights or other rights. This e-mail does
not constitute any commitment for ING Belgium except when
expressly otherwise agreed in a written agreement between the
intended recipient and ING Belgium.

If you receive this message by mistake, please, notify the sender
with the "reply" option and delete immediately this e-mail from
your system, and destroy all copies of it. You may not, directly
or indirectly, use this e-mail or any part of it if you are not
the intended recipient.

Messages and attachments are scanned for all viruses known. If
this message contains password-protected attachments, the files
have NOT been scanned for viruses by the ING mail domain. Always
scan attachments before opening them.
ING Belgium SA/NV - Bank/Lender - Avenue Marnix 24, B-1000
Brussels, Belgium - Brussels RPM/RPR - VAT BE 0403.200.393 -
BIC (SWIFT) : BBRUBEBB - Account: 310-9156027-89 (IBAN BE45 3109
1560 2789).
An insurance broker, registered with the Banking, Finance and
Insurance Commission under the code number 12381A.

ING Belgique SA - Banque/Preteur, Avenue Marnix 24, B-1000
Bruxelles - RPM Bruxelles - TVA BE 0403 200 393 - BIC (SWIFT) :
BBRUBEBB - Compte: 310-9156027-89 (IBAN: BE45 3109 1560 2789).
Courtier d'assurances inscrit a la CBFA sous le numero 12381A.

ING Belgie NV - Bank/Kredietgever - Marnixlaan 24, B-1000 Brussel
- RPR Brussel - BTW BE 0403.200.393 - BIC (SWIFT) : BBRUBEBB -
Rekening: 310-9156027-89 (IBAN: BE45 3109 1560 2789).
Verzekeringsmakelaar ingeschreven bij de CBFA onder het nr.
12381A.