Re: [squid-users] small objects memory caching issue ?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2010 13:51:38 +1300

On 05/12/10 06:59, vincent.blondel_at_ing.be wrote:

>>> After some memory upgrade to 4GB RAM, I am trying to optimize my squid caches to maintain as most as little objects in memory without storing them on disk. Big objects are not kept in memory but stored on disk.
>>>
>>> these are my config parameters ...
>>>
>>> cache_mem 600 MB
>>> memory_replacement_policy heap GDSF
>>> maximum_object_size_in_memory 16 KB
>>> cache_replacement_policy heap LFUDA
>>> minimum_object_size 16 KB
>>> maximum_object_size 100 KB
>>> cache_swap_low 95
>>> cache_swap_high 95
>>>
>>> acl QUERY urlpath_regex cgi-bin \?
>>> cache deny QUERY
>>
>> The above lines are no longer recommended. Dynamic content can be and is
>> emitted with suitable headers for caching.
>>

> many thks for your help, my cache is really behaving like a charm now ...
>
>> Instead of this we recommend a new refresh_pattern added directly above
>> the "." pattern one:
>> refresh_pattern -i (/cgi-bin/|\?) 0 0% 0
>>

> can you give me some clarification on this because not so sure to understand everything ??

There is an RFC 2616 clause outlining the conditions under which dynamic
content can be cached. The refresh pattern above parameterizes the cache
freshness algorithm to obey that clause: adding 0 seconds to the past
age, effectively removing non-cacheable dynamic content immediately.

Amos

--
Please be using
   Beta testers wanted for 3.2.0.3