Re: [squid-users] authentication problems

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2010 13:44:00 +1300

On 05/12/10 09:45, ant2ne wrote:

> I want to use squid and dansguardign to filter by groups. It is working, sort
> of.
>
> Problem 1, after launching the web browser it takes a very long time (a
> minute or 2) before the authentication dialog pops up. This needs to be
> instant. What am I doing wrong? Once it does finally pop up, I can
> authenticate and dansguardian does assign the proper filtering groups.

The config below does not contain any reason for this slowness. Unless
you have an abnormally large NCSA users file to be checked the problem
is outside of Squid.

> Problem 2, I would like anyone who fails to authenticate to be assigned a
> user creditials; default-user. How would I do this?

No reasonably secure browser sends credentials by default. Anyone who
fails to authenticate is requested to send credentials.

> Problem 3, Can I edit the text of the authentication dialog box?

Only the realm string. There are security attacks which can be done by
sending dialog box text and modern browsers are closing even that
limited ability down.

Amos

--
Please be using