Re: [squid-users] max number of file descriptors ?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2010 12:52:56 +1300

On 07/12/10 10:42, Jan-Frode Myklebust wrote:
> We're running squid-2.6.STABLE21-6 on RHEL5, and are running
> running into the max number of file descriptors. I have increased
> it to 64K, but we're still touching the limit.. The server load
> is not high, but we do have many clients (about 170000 today
> according to calamaris) that are polling the same slow service
> often.
>
> So, is there any reason not to raise --with-maxfd and max_filedesc ?

If you have max_filedesc available you don't need to touch --with-maxfd.
The build option just sets the default for the squid.conf option.

> Are there any upper limits/recommendations for these ?

Others seems to have no problems with FD as high as 400K. The OS can
handle a few million apparently. Though each open one in Squid has a few
KB of buffer and meta data attached, so they will be eating your RAM
indirectly.

If the number of connected clients gets extremely high you could tune
the client persistent connection timeout to reduce resource usage a bit.

An upgrade to 2.7 will also make the requests complete and be ready for
release faster if you want to go that way.

Amos

--
Please be using
   Beta testers wanted for 3.2.0.3