[squid-users] Re: max number of file descriptors ?

From: Jan-Frode Myklebust <janfrode_at_tanso.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 09:05:19 +0100

On 2010-12-06, Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz> wrote:

> If you have max_filedesc available you don't need to touch --with-maxfd.
> The build option just sets the default for the squid.conf option.

Hmm.. I tried pretty hard to increase it beyond 16K without succeeding,
before I noticed the comment in the default squid.conf saying:

# The maximum value for max_filedesc is set by --with-maxfd during
# compilation.

and the RHEL RPM was build with --with-maxfd=16K. Once I rebuilt it I was
able to go to 32K and 64K. So are you completely sure --with-maxfd shouldn't
be necessary ?

> Others seems to have no problems with FD as high as 400K. The OS can
> handle a few million apparently.

Great, thanks!

> If the number of connected clients gets extremely high you could tune
> the client persistent connection timeout to reduce resource usage a bit.

I am a bit scared to touch the client side. My clients are stupid STBs,
and one never know how they react to changes.. But do you think tuning down
persistent_request_timeout to f.ex. 30s should be a safe setting ?

> An upgrade to 2.7 will also make the requests complete and be ready for
> release faster if you want to go that way.

We try to stick with RHEL-released packages, so the next version we will use
will most likely be squid-3.1.4 which is in RHEL6.

  -jf