Re: [squid-users] Re: authentication problems

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 16:09:59 +1300

On 10/12/10 07:16, ant2ne wrote:

> AWESOME it is working mostly flawlessly!!
>
> I notice that the whitelist file (/etc/squid3/whitelist1.sites) doesn't take
> comments or duplications or reduntant info. Like .ftp.debian.org when there
> is already a .debian.org. It errors and don't work. But once I got over that
> it seems to be working nicely. As long as you surf the white list you aren't
> prompted for a password. But if you go off white list you are!!
>
> Is it possible to direct browsers that fail to authenticate to a website? I
> could direct them to the internal web server with instructions on how to get
> valid credentials.

Yes, you can do this:

   acl bump src all
   acl users proxy_auth REQUIRED
   deny_info http://example.com/ bump
   http_access deny !AUTH_users bump

It produces a 302 response instead of 407. So if you are not careful the
browser will never get the challenge to send credentials. The user will
always get the rejection page.

It's best done when you have a custom authenticator plugged in to do
auth outside of Squid. ie stuff in the page which triggers the browser
to send real auth credentials *to the proxy*.

(Sadly I can't present the problem solution right now due to client
contracts in the area. If they permit it to go public I will be adding a
config example to the wiki)

Amos

--
Please be using