Re: [squid-users] How to use cbq

From: lupuscramus <lupuscramus_at_hyperthese.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 00:07:51 +0100

> Hi Gregorie,
>
> CBQ and HTB are policy's that are applied to the network interface on
> the server, they are independent of Squid. I've used HTB in various
> scenarios where I've wanted to control a specific users bandwidth
> independent of the proxy software that has been running on the box.
> Using the info on lartc.org it is fairly easy to compile a simple
> shaping policy.

Yes, I've seen lartc.org, but it doesn't seem it works for me. I can act on 2
servers : the gateway (firewall) or the proxy.

I want act on the HTTP traffic only, other traffic don't pass on the same line
(I've 2 ADSL for HTTP and 1 SDSL for other traffic).
All the HTTP traffic pass by the proxy, so the firewall doesn't know the ip
source. So, I can't act on the gateway.

I can manage either the in or the out traffic, for the proxy. If I manage the
out with some rules, I've the same problem : the ip source will be the
proxy's.

If I manage the in traffic, there is no differences between the cached
requests and the non cache requests => I lose the interest of the cache.

> If you want to do more advanced things though you will
> need to investigate marking the packets on the firewall and also look at
> using Squid to apply QOS markers to the traffic. I recall there was a
> discussion on this recently on this list. A a search of the archives
> should find this.

Yes, I'm going search this, it could be what I need.

> Tris

Thanks for your help,
Gregoire