Re: [squid-users] How to use cbq

From: Tristan Hoar <tristan.hoar_at_bgfl.org>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 22:44:28 +0000

On 13/12/2010 21:03, lupuscramus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would use the cbq (or htb, or any algo which is based on ip source) queuing
> in order to manage my bandwith (~ 12 Mbits fot 150 users).
>
> I can't make a rule in my firewall because my firewall doesn't know what is
> the ip source : he knows the proxy server ip.
>
> I have not seen the feature in squid - the only bandwith management I've seen
> is the delay pools -, is there any way to use a QOS based on ip source ? Or
> must I code the use of cbq ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Grégoire Leroy

Hi Gregorie,

CBQ and HTB are policy's that are applied to the network interface on
the server, they are independent of Squid. I've used HTB in various
scenarios where I've wanted to control a specific users bandwidth
independent of the proxy software that has been running on the box.
Using the info on lartc.org it is fairly easy to compile a simple
shaping policy. If you want to do more advanced things though you will
need to investigate marking the packets on the firewall and also look at
using Squid to apply QOS markers to the traffic. I recall there was a
discussion on this recently on this list. A a search of the archives
should find this.

Tris

to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email
in error please notify postmaster_at_bgfl.org

The views expressed within this email are those of the
individual, and not necessarily those of the organisation