Re: [squid-users] Cache performance

From: Marcello Romani <mromani_at_ottotecnica.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 16:01:02 +0100

Il 17/12/2010 11:09, benjamin fernandis ha scritto:
> Dear Friends,
>
> I m going to use squid for cache purpose only.And i heard that for
> squid cache performance i have to use good RAM and HDD.I have 4gb RAM
> and 160 GB SATA HDD.And i have 200 users' network.So please suggest me
> the same.Means can i go with this H/W specification or is there any
> suggestion....Please friends, suggest me .....And in this server i m
> using only squid for cache gain....so also suggest me for RAM also.
>
> And one more thing, for better disk performace should i have to go
> with raid 0 or any other suggestion.....
>
> And what are the main squid configuration parameter for cache gain....?
>
> thanks,
> Benjo j.

I'm no expert but what you have to avoid is having the squid process
swap. So following the rough rule of 10MB of RAM for each GB of cache
I'd try first with a 100GB cache, which would require 1GB RAM just for
managing it. I'd keep cache mem low, like 128M. The rest of RAM would be
used by OS for disk cache and buffers. Mount the cache dir with noatime
option to avoid unnecessary disk accesses. To increase performance, use
multiple cache_dir, each pointing to its own physical disk. Avoid raid
if you need performance.

That said, I don't want to sound rude, but I think your questions show
that you should do some research on your own first. Please search the
mailing list archives and the squid site. Many general questions about
squid performance and configuration can be solved just by reading those
docs and following the links.

For a start:

http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/ConfiguringSquid

HTH