Re: [squid-users] Two node squid reverse proxy

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 19:52:10 +1300

On 19/12/10 11:51, N3O wrote:
> Hi
> Does anyone know how to implement a two node squid reverse proxy??
> My idea is to have 2 squid servers working as reverse proxy to an internal
> apache web server. The two node should do some kind of load balance
> between them.

What sort of capabilities do you have around the network to do that LB?
LB must be done before the request enters into the worker squid. (could
be a hardware LB, some software scripts, routing rules or another proxy).

For surety once a request enters either of the worker squid it may as
well be processed by that one. The only benefit of sibling links is when
the data is cached in the sibling for fast retrieval. Double-handling is
a problem.

> So a simple design would be:
> internet
> |

> LB
> squid1 -- squid2
> \ /
> \ /
> \ /
> apache
> Which would be the best idea to implement this scenario?
> Thanks!

There is nothing special involved.

  1) Setup each node as a reverse-proxy separately with whatever
handling is appropriate for your needs.
  2) Test that works.

  3) Add the cache_peer sibling link between.
  4) Test that works.

  5) setup the LB to pass requests between them with whatever balance
you like.

Amos

--
Please be using